Sunday, December 26, 2010

Ladybug

You might not have much luck fishing this terrestrial right now but come the spring it might be something to try out when other flies fail to produce.  Word has it that trout will go after these just like any other beetle but be for warned that if trout eat to many of them they will get sick.  I suspect that if you are targeting a fish that has had this experience then you might want to choose a different fly.  As for fishing this little beetle for bass or sunfish... Go For It.  those warm water fish eat just about anything. 
I hope all of you had a great Christmas Day and got some good fishing gear.

4 comments:

cofisher said...

Interesting, I never thought about tying a ladybug. Hmmm...

Keith Greenwell said...

A couple of years ago I went on a backpack trip into the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness area in southern Colorado. One of the lakes was blanketed with lady bugs. Not having any in my flybox I used a small deerhair beetle. The trout didn't seem to mind. I did tie up a few when I got home just encase I came across them again. I actually like fishing them better than black beetles. I use orange foam for the back which makes them float better and are easier to see.

Unknown said...

Cofisher - not a bug one first thinks of while trout fishing which is why I added it - with the warning that Iv'e never fished it.

& MKG - thanks for the conformation that this bug can be fished under the right conditions. A few changes to a beetle fly for maximuc color and floatation and you are good to go.

Papa Beason said...

Years ago 1950-70, a very popular panfish fly was a painted metal version of the ladybug, I caught many bluegills and a not a few bass with the metal version.