Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tenkara Fishing


SOLD
Here is a little black and white Ink sketch I did of a reverse hackle Tenkara fly. If you are interested in learning more about this type of fishing just click HERE for the Tenkara USA site. I believe this the first US site of its kind and it is a great tool to learn what this type of fishing is. They also have some good videos of Tenkara fishing you might enjoy.

The character on the work is a Japanese word meaning Fish, or A Fish.
This type of fishing is new to me but I like the idea behind the 'less is more' type of thinking that it follows. Lately I have attacked the water with a minimum amount of gear, carefully weeding out what I need, and what I don't. Sometimes the mass of gear one gathers before hitting the water just gets in the way. As a backpacker and avid hiker I like what Tenkara is. Its been around for a long time so there has got to be something to it.

Does anybody use this type of fishing a lot and just how effective are these unique flies for you?

9 comments:

Bigerrfish said...

They could be on to something. Its like going to a new church, Check it out, take what you need and leave the rest, If you like it youll come back.
But like Lefty Kreh tried to tell the generation after him (the one before us) "Most of your casting technique comes from your line hand" making the presentaion worth a crap, As he splits the rod in half and casts with only the tip section and the line hand.

Now for the little creeks, for years, ever since I was probably 10 I have tied a 6 foot piece of 6lb to the end of a micro spinning rod hand it to a kid and let them "dippit" straight down.. sounds like Ive been using czech nymping and Tenkara methods long before I, quote "flyfished",, Like I said Joel all that stuff is like a new church, take what you need for your water and let the handicap be somebody elses

Bigerrfish said...

Ment to add that I did the "new look same great taste" of your blog design

Michael Agneta said...

Great updates to the blog. Very clean.

From reading my blog, you know I'm a big tenkara devotee. There are some tenkara anglers that swear by the reverse hackle flies like this one, in fact that's all they use. Evidently that's traditional tenkara as fished in Japan. Me? I'll use these flies as wets, but also like to mix in others - like elk hair caddis as a dry, and a variety of bead head nymphs to get down low.

I think tenkara can be a perfect small stream compliment to anyone's fly fishing experience. Even I haven't gotten rid of the western rod & reel yet!

Albert A Rasch said...

Love the look!

Now I have to go look up Tenkara...

Thanks!

Best regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles: Sporting Classics!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you like it guys. Troutrgous - Your site has been a key to turning me on to the whole Tenkara thing. Thanks again to all for the comments

Terry said...

70% of my fishing this year has been with a tenkara rod. It is a productive way to fish smaller streams and most importantly, a very fun way. I will not be selling my regular fly fishing gear, but I will continue to fish with my tenkara rod when I feel like it.

Anonymous said...

one of my fishing buddies is just nuts for tenkara fly fishing. he would love that print. anyway I could buy one?
Eric

Unknown said...

Terry - thanks for the comments. The more I read into the more excited i get about it. I hope to realy get into it soon.

Eric - Send me an Email and I'll tell you how to purchase the real thing as well as how much.

Thanks again for all the comments everbody.

The Jersey Angler said...

I have been playing around with Tenkara for about a year now. I love it! Those reverse hackle flies are deadly when fished properly. Love the drawing!