Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Golden Stone Fly & Mississippi Drum


Here Is another Summer On The Flies installment via Bigerrfish and AYEARONTHEFLY. A Golden Stone is a vital component to the western stream environment and a stable food source for those big western trout. Check out Josh's site for the nicely tied version of this fly.

Adding to this post is another ecosystem all together. While doing a bit of fishing in northern Illinois I hooked up with a bunch of these Mississippi river drum. I tried for a long time to hook these guys with my fly rod but only got a big goose egg and a bunch of back cast snags. I eventually went back to my roots with the old fashion Tom Sawyer rig. Instant success.
In case you are wondering what the Tom Sawyer rig is, here it the recipe : hook, worm, weight. sit back and watch the rod dance. It worked when I was ten and still works today


And if this post isn't long enough already I feel I need to add this. Josh saw my posted fly painting from Monday and tied this beauty up about ten minutes after I posted the fly. I love his take on it!!

1 comment:

Bigerrfish said...

looks awesome! great to see a river drum I have never seen one. and thanks for the shout-out on the yellow bug.