Sunday, June 5, 2011

Another Box and a Rocket Launch

Here is another wood burned box I have in the works that is again not yet finished.  I worked on these two boxes at about the same time and will probably finish them together.  This one has a poplar top that is carved and woodburned and birds eye maple sides.  I plan on also adding a boarder of inlay around the sides when time permits.
The kids and I also decided to launch a few rockets the other day.  I did this as a kid and loved it.  Come on, what kid doesn't like the thrill of lighting something on fire and watching it blast off into the air.  I thought I'd share this thrilling adventure I had as a kid with my own and as you can see, I took a few pics and videos to share with you as well.  If this is something you have never done then you are missing out.  
Our rocket was a simple mini Bertha with about a dozen Disney stickers the kids decided to decorate it with. They had about much fun chasing it across the field as they had launching it.  Even dad got a smile on his face when the mini projectile left the pad and shot toward the sky.
Not exactly a Cape Canaveral launch but you get the idea.  Absolutely Fun!
This one was a small engine launch, the next was a much larger engine and took the small rocket nearly three hundred feet before the parachute pop.  Notice my boy with his ears covered... I guess he has seen daddy launch to many fireworks over the years.
not a very fishy post but nearly as fun.

8 comments:

Bigerrfish said...

Thats sweet man! and the box looks cool...

Brk Trt said...

That box says so much.
Fine work.

e.m.b. said...

Even more awesome than that box, are those videos....."WOW!!!" Your son's voice is now echoing in my head. ;)

Jim Browning said...

Loved starting my morning with the sounds of excited children. Thanks for sharing a family day your kids will never forget!

Jim
Two Guys ~ Wet Waders & Flies

Mark Kautz said...

I did that as a kid too. Man what a blast. Only problem we had was finding the rocket after it came down. Didn't have a nice field like that.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Oh, memories.

Unknown said...

glad you all liked the box. Also about the rockets - I am sure we will be doing it again. The kids LOVED it. Next time we go with the biggest engine that will fit into it. I can hear it now 'dad, where did it go?'

Feather Chucker said...

Those videos are great. I don't know if it's just me but once I became a dad I enjoy watching other people have fun with their kids.