Friday, June 3, 2011

Wooden Fly Box - Carved and Wood Burning

Here is a recent box I was tooling around with the other day while I was in the garage.  It is not quite finished yet but you get the idea.  I first did a relieve wood carving of the body of the fly and then drilled a small hole for the extra large steal hook.  I then created the box around the lid.  The top is a birds eye maple and the sides are a red oak with a mahogany inlay.  You might just be able to see a bit of the real wood inlay around  the middle of the box.  After a good sanding and oil application this box should really look good.  I might be a bit to bulky for a fly box but it should look good as a storage box for paints or fly tying material in my office.
I am hoping that I will be able to finish this little box up soon.  Of course that would require a bit of time off of work and a stretch of free time that a busy guy like me just finds it hard to get.  If you asked my wife why I have no free time she will undoubtedly tell you that if I got rid of one of my 'hobbies' I would have more time to finish those countless projects I have waiting in the wings.  She might have something there but what fun would that be?  Once I get it completed I will post a few pictures for you to look at.

On the non fishy front, last weekend my wife and I took the kids on a bit of a balloon chase.  Freedom Weekend Aloft is our area's big ballooning festival and after we watch some fifty plus balloons take to the skies, we loaded up the car to chase them down through the country side.  It was a blast and the kids loved it.  Nothing like tearing through fields and back country roads watching the skies for falling balloons.  It is a memory I wont soon forget and I am hoping they won't either.  If you ever get a chance, take your kids, They will love it.

7 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

Whoa, that box is really nice. Balloon festivals are cool.

Brk Trt said...

Joel,
The fly box looks great.
Well done.

Anonymous said...

Your mind is so full of ideas. Glad to see you are taking time for family too.

Sanders said...

Really nice looking box. Great job!

JB said...

Very cool!

Bigerrfish said...

way nice!

Unknown said...

Thanks once again for all the nice comment. I am getting another post ready for tomorrow with another box I started about the same time as this one. Once my schedule lightens up a bit I will be able to finish both boxes.