Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Brown Trout With Blue Winged

"Brown Trout With Blue Winged"
The start of 2012 has been a hectic one.  No fishing, constant work, and very little time to put paint to paper.  There has been a few bright spots though and a few tidbits of news that gives me hope that the rest of 2012 will be an exciting one.
First was the news that I was accepted into a large juried artist festival located in the upstate of SC.  Since I have never attempted to enter such an event, it is a bit overwhelming by the amount of work I need to do in preparation for the even.
Getting an appropriate display ready, organizing prints and paintings to display, actually doing more paintings for the event, and all the stuff that goes into selling these items is going to fill my time for the next few months.  Still, I am excited to get the chance to display my work in a setting with other skilled artists.
As the event closes in I will give you a bit more information and you can expect more posts on my frantic attempt to get ready for this show.
The second piece of good news is that I might soon be a 'published' artists.  I recently have completed a  set of drawings for a book to be published over seas and then just the other day I was contacted about the opportunity to collaborate in a book project here in the states.  Again, as these projects develop I will surely share the information with you but for as of right now all you get is a bit of a teaser.
With this year off to such a great start and it only being the second week in, I am eager to see what the rest of 2012 has in store.  Now if I could only get some time off from my day job I might be able to get to work on this art thing.  Then again.... If I didn't have a job I wouldn't be able to do this fishing art thing.  All things have their place I guess and I need to remind myself of that.

Now for the painting you see here.  I did this work first thing before work this morning and rushed to get it done.  I call it 'Brown Trout With Blue Winged" - not difficult to figure out how I got that name.
Its a smaller work - only @6" x 5" but with the time crunch it was all I could get an expect to make a post today.  I have been slacking lately and have felt a bit guilty for neglecting the blogs but such is life.  I hope you enjoy it and it inspires you to get out and fish.  Once I get a chance I will be hitting that stream and maybe I can get a few REAL browns in hand pictures to share with you.
Fishing in Idaho 2011

8 comments:

Richard said...

Congrats on the book deal and good luck at the festival!

Mark Kautz said...

Hi Joel. I had the bright idea some years ago to do the craft show circuit. I thought, cool, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Huh, you know. Congratulations on all your upcoming events. After following you for so long, I know you'll be a big success.

Mark

Sanders said...

Congrats on all the good news! Good luck with everything, really exciting.

Cheers!

Lefty Angler & Flies said...

Good luck with show and book! Love browns sipping tiny BWOs....!

Unknown said...

who si that good looking guy fishing with such skill and perfection. I must meet him and assk him how he has mastered fishing....wait....that's me. Nice pic and I am glad to rep the NW on the blog. Good to hear about the Success with paining's. They are great.

Bigerrfish said...

Just about epic on this one... The trout and the BWO go way way way back in time...
Good job

cofisher said...

Wow, terrific news Joel. Lots of luck and keep doing what you do so well.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the encouragment. I'll keep you posted on how it all shakes out. I'm looking forward to how the new year is coming together.