Monday, January 23, 2012

Deer Stew & A Prince

I made some great deer stew a while back and with the hunting season coming to a close and a lot of meat now coming back from the processors I thought that I would share this recipe with you.  This was a random recipe I found on the internet that sounded not only easy but quite tasty.  There is no doubt after making this stew that it will go into the wife's book.  It is a sweeter recipe than normally made but I am telling you that it is good.  I had a few friends over to sample it and there was not much left after second and third helpings.  Good stuff!!
From some random source I cant remember:

Crockpot Venison Apple Cider Stew
1 pound beef or venison stew meat -- (up to 2) 8 carrots -- sliced thin 6 potatoes -- sliced thin 2 apples -- chopped 2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon thyme 2 tablespoons minced onion 2 cups apple cider (I used spiced cider)
Place carrots, potatoes, and apples in crock pot. Add meat and sprinkle with salt, thyme, and onion. Pour cider over meat and cover. Cook in crock pot on low heat 10-12 hours. Thicken gravy.
And not to forget about my painting, I sat down and flipped a little paint to paper to come up with this version of the "Egg Sucking Prince Nymph".   I saw it in a recent edition of Fly Tyer magazine and figured what the heck.  I would love to tie this up but searching my supplies I found no hot orange beads.  I guess that is mainly due to my ignorant reluctance to use egg patterns for fishing.  I am beginning to loose this 'high minded' attitude but I guess this fly still will have to wait till my next trip to the fly shop.

3 comments:

Brk Trt said...

That looks real good.
May I have a bowl?

R.K. said...

Yup...gonna give this one a try - far be it for me to pass up on anything that looks that tasty.

Thanks for sharing the recipe with the rest of us fly-heads!

Unknown said...

BrkTrt - yeck yeah....oh wait, its all gone.. Going to have to wait till I make another batch.
Colorado A - worth the effort to find some good Apple cider. Got to say as far as deer meat stew goes, this is the sh........... Well, its Real Good stew. Enjoy!