Friday, May 21, 2010

Black Zonker



Here is a rabbit strip Zonker with a mylar tube body. Add a bit of fur for a collar and you got a killer streamer.  The color variations with this fly are vast but black and white seem to be the most widely used. 

  I know there are quite a few of you out there that live by the midge and would classify it as your favorite fly (bigerrfish, and midgeman come to mind) but for me it is the streamer.  Midges probably catch more fish on average but fish, of any species, seem to hit streamers hard!  There just is no mistaking a hit when you are stripping in a bucktail or Zonker and a hawg of a fish takes you fly. I love it! 

2 comments:

Feather Chucker said...

If like that feeling of a fish hitting a streamer hard, you'll love striper fishing. They will rip the rod out of your hands if you're not paying attention.

Bigerrfish said...

I have to admit They dont slam! the midges.. but they do eat alot of them... Joel, when the River rewards me with the biggest fish of my life..... I hate to say it, but I really think its going to be on a streamer.... the big big browns cant survive on midges alone...so they must hunt.. I know where this fish lives... somewhere where the midges get ate up on the way in..