Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Fishing With The Boy & Constructing A Cheap Sun Chair

  I took to the pond yesterday with my boy for a little bass fishing.  With a chilly wind and a bright sun high in the sky doing a decent job of heating the afternoon water, we were able to hook into a few small bass in the short time we flicked out some flies.
    Despite having a minor mishap with a thistle in the palm of his hand, the little guy did a good job of reeling in two active fish with my MRC large arbor reel and #8w fly reel.  He hasn't got the hang of casting the big rod yet so I helped out a little bit by hooking fish but he quickly took over and enjoyed the fight to bring it in.
    He was also a bit nervous about sticking his thumb in the fishes mouth but after a bit of schooling in how to properly hold a bass he gave it a try and luckily all the bass behaved.
    Over all it was a good hour with the boy before we headed back home for some homemade pizza. I am sure it is yet another day at the pond that he will remember for quite a while.

    Before we went fishing however I had a good few hours to mess around in the garage with a spur of the moment idea while walking the isles of my local hardware store.  Originally I had gone there to get a chimney sweep so I can clean out the fireplace and save myself over $230.  $230!!!  No thanks, I'll stick to my cheap Dutch roots and do it myself.  I hate going on my roof for anything but for $230 I'm not blinking an eye.
So how do you turn a total of $7 in cheap lumber and $5 in hardware into something relaxing?  You just make a few simple cuts and drill a few holes and then you got a very comfortable sun chair to place outside near the fire.
  I actually found the idea for the chair on an advertisement for Delta.  It was a background piece of furniture on a travel banner but it looked so easy to make that I thought it would be an quick project to get me back in the garage and out of the house.  Happily it was nearly as easy as I had hoped and even though I will make a few changes to the design in the next chair, it was simple and more importantly - Cheap!

6 comments:

Memaw said...

I think that your son was really happy to spend the day with you and that he was fishing with you.

And the chair is good looking chair

Mark Kautz-Shoreman said...

The guy that cleans my chimney twice a year charges $125.00. I have him come in January and in July just to have it professionally cleaned. The rest of the year, I clean it myself about every 3 weeks, but that's because I burn everything from Pine, to Fir, To Cedar, to Oak, and even Walnut so it needs to be cleaned often. In fact, I did it about an hour ago.

Bill Trussell said...

Joel
Glad you was able to get out and land a few bass. That is chair is awesome, yes it looks easy to construct. Nice job!

Joel D said...

Thanks Memaw

Mark - we pretty much only use it 3-4 months out of the year and don't usually depend on it for heat. In the south its mostly used for ambiance

Joel D said...

Bill - thanks. The chair is incredible comfortable. Just got done putting a layer of weather proofing sealant. Looks really sharp now.

Howard said...

Okay Joel how do I sign up to order my chairs? Do you deliver? Nice post.