Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Proving The Wood Dowel Fly Works
last post I mentioned that I had made a handful of bass bugs out of a spare wooden dowel I had laying around the garage. During my entire four day trip I had thought about these little bugs and could not wait to get them in the water and see how they performed. Some might say that obsessing over a few bass bugs for any amount of time is unhealthy but you need to remember that any guy that spends hours upon hours casting to illusive fish without the slightest hint of a bite might be already unhinged. So obsessing over the homemade bugs is normal in a sort of sick way.
Anyway, as soon as I got home I dashed out to test these little guys until the family returned from school. As you can see, the bugs killed them. The very first cast with the green bug you see below hooked into a good looking bass and the pictures tell the rest of the story.
After some of the bass fishing seemed to die off I headed to an area of shallow water known for big bluegill. The smaller gills stayed away but a good number of the larger ones where more than happy to take these flies.
titled Improvising Poppers. I will try in the future to perfect this bug by reducing the line twist while keeping the semi-subsurface action this fly has. Who knows, I might actually even post a true instructional step by step on how to create this simple bug.
Posted by Unknown at 9:43 AM