Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Greenback Cutthroat Trout

One of Americas true national treasures, the Greenback Cutthroat Trout was once thought to be extinct but after being rediscovered in some isolated streams around the 1950's, the Greenback is on its way to reclaiming much of its native habitat.
The Cutthroat is a beautiful trout and as any angle can attest, it is also a joy to hook into one.  The Greenback is just one segment of a variety of Cutthroat species that once dominated the American Rockies.
I love painting these beautiful fish and so it is not by chance that I chose this fish for my subject the other day.  Its bright colors and distinct red cheeks make it a fish just asking to have a portrait done.

Greenback Cut
Aprx size - 10x14in
Watercolor on paper
for sale

Check out new prints available at extremely affordable prices HERE on my Watercolor PRINTS PAGE.  The Cutthroat is not up yet but it will be soon.

3 comments:

cofisher said...

Having been blessed to live in Colorado and fished the Greenback I can only say very beautifully done.

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Joel. Thanks for making my year a little bit better!

Unknown said...

Joel I've been following your work for quite some time now. All the way back to when it was just "a year on the fly".
I recently started an online magazine called so much water, somuchwater.com.

I would like to share some of your work in the spring issue. I'll give you a few pages. We don't have a lot of subscribers yet but we are growing every day. If your interested drop me a line. Kevin.smith@somuchwater.com