Friday, December 11, 2015

Adding Paintings - Old Blue Shed

Neglected as it is I do occasionally post new content to this blog, though not as often as I do to my Facebook Hexfishing page.  Some content doesn't even make the transfer but since this blog is partly responsible for my elevation as an artist I endeavor to keep it alive.
The other day it was raining hard and since I found myself a bit bummed at having been pushed out of my fishing plans, I looked outside my window and decided to paint my weather beaten shed.
  It fit my mood and was a fitting subject to practice my art on something less aquatic. That day I saw the washed out blue of the shed, deep shadows that hid in a misty fog, and the on setting of winter in the trees behind my worn down fence and I decided that however drab it might have looked, it needed to be set down in paint.
  The bare wood of the door was once a neglected project but it has become a rustic addition to the aging shed.  In this piece it served its purpose of vivid contrast to the fading blue and like a grand hero in some old novel, it still served a purpose despite the visible flaws. 
  There is no need really to try to explain art to the audience since art is truly an experience every individual interprets on their own, but I can tell you what I was thinking as I laid brush and pigment to paper.  You will probably be seeing more artwork like this in the future and although you undoubtedly follow this blog for the fishy subjects, I appreciate your tolerance of my choice of subjects.  I also appreciate your tolerance of the crappy cellphone pictures.
"The Old Blue Shed"
Watercolor On Paper
20x14in

Original Shed photo

2 comments:

cofisher said...

Excellent Joel. The painting is nicer than the photograph.

Unknown said...

Thanks Howard